Lavender Strawberry Free-Form Pie for "Pi Day"
Less than a week from the first official weekend of spring and we're dreaming of strawberries....
Wait, no need to dream!
It's "Pi Day" so let there be pie!
Inspired by A Pretty Life in the Suburbs recipe for "Rustic Free-Form Strawberry Pie," I changed up some subtle flavors and I'm pretty sure this will be a go-to recipe year round (with different fruits maybe???). I used French lavender sugar bought at the San Francisco's Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market and lavender plum jelly from Friend in Cheese Jam Co..
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (12x12 inches)
- 5 cups strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lavender sugar
- 2 tbsp lavender plum jelly for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet, with a piece of parchment paper.
- Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar on the parchment paper. Place puff pastry on top. Set aside.
- Cut strawberries in half (or quarters if really big).
- Place the strawberries in a bowl, and mix them with the sugar and cornstarch (Add the mixture to the puff pastry immediately after mixing or you'll end up with sogginess!).
- Pile the strawberries onto the center of the pastry.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over to cover the outer edge of the fruit pile. Overlap as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and brush the pastry.
- Sprinkle the lavender sugar on to the pastry.
- Place the pie into the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40 minutes...until the pastry is golden brown.
- When the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven.
- Heat up the jelly for about 30 seconds in the microwave, then brush it onto the pie.
- Let your pie sit for a while before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipping cream or enjoy as is!
Image descriptions in alternative text accessible to those using screen readers.