Lavender Strawberry Free-Form Pie for "Pi Day"
Less than a week from the first official weekend of spring and we're dreaming of strawberries....
Wait, no need to dream!
It's "Pi Day" so let there be pie!
Inspired by A Pretty Life in the Suburbs recipe for "Rustic Free-Form Strawberry Pie," I changed up some subtle flavors and I'm pretty sure this will be a go-to recipe year round (with different fruits maybe???). I used French lavender sugar bought at the San Francisco's Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market and lavender plum jelly from Friend in Cheese Jam Co..
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (12x12 inches)
- 5 cups strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lavender sugar
- 2 tbsp lavender plum jelly for glazing
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet, with a piece of parchment paper.
- Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar on the parchment paper. Place puff pastry on top. Set aside.
- Cut strawberries in half (or quarters if really big).
- Place the strawberries in a bowl, and mix them with the sugar and cornstarch (I accidentally left them sitting in the bowl for too long and ended up with some soggy sugar on the bottom of the bowl which I didn't add to the pie because I didn't want the pastry to get really soggy - next time add strawberry mixture to pie immediately after mixing! So the original recipe called for 1/2 cup sugar but I probably ended up with 1/4 cup in the pie which worked well for me!).
- Pile the strawberries onto the center of the pastry.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over to cover the outer edge of the fruit pile. Overlap as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and brush the pastry.
- Sprinkle the lavender sugar on to the pastry.
- Place the pie into the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 40 minutes...until the pastry is golden brown.
- When the pie is done baking, remove it from the oven.
- Heat up the jelly for about 30 seconds in the microwave, then brush it onto the pie.
- Let your pie sit for a while before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipping cream or enjoy as is!