After two batches of lemon curd, I had 10 egg whites to use up - perfect for angel food cake except the angel food cake pan was buried somewhere in a box.... Unpacking is still in progress! So...what if we made angel food cupcakes??? I was worried they'd somehow deflate or be more dense since I couldn't let the cake cool upside down but they didn't seem to mind being in cupcake form.
|Angel Food Cupcakes topped with Lemon Curd and Fresh Fruit|
Yield: 24 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups egg whites, room temperature (10 large egg whites)
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Allow egg whites to sit at room temperature in a large mixing bowl while you sift together the powdered sugar, flour, and salt in another mixing bowl. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy, then add in cream of tarter and vanilla and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form (tips should curl). This takes about five minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar with the mixer still on at medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
3. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in dry mixture wit a spatula in fourths. Fold until smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners with about 1/4 of batter. I used a measure cup at first but was missing the liners.... Then I used an ice cream scoop but the batter wasn't heavy or solid enough to come out.... So then I used a large spoon and small spatula - that did the trick!
5. Bake cupcakes at 350F for 18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let cool completely on wire rack. Add desired toppings like whipped cream, fresh fruit, lemon curd, or maybe a scoop of ice cream ... lots of possibilities!
|Wouldn't it be wonderful to wake up to cupcakes on the windowsill?|