Cherry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Chewy. Chocolaty. Tarty.
Yield: ~ 3 dozen
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes per sheet
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dark chocolate chunks would be delicious too!)
*So actually I was only planning on using 1/2 cup of butter but because I accidentally bought butter in 1 pound blocks instead of quarters, I wasn't thinking and cut the block in half for the recipe instead of in fourths. Oops. So if you'd like to make it with less butter, go for it!
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add both sugars, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour. Stir in rolled oats, dried cherries, and chocolate chips.
2. Drop dough using two spoons or an ice cream scoop (mine's size 40, 1.5 tablespoons), 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I usually fit a dozen per sheet. Bake at 375F for about 8-10 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book 75th Anniversary Edition "Ranger Cookies" recipe.