Pixie Bonnet in Orchid (knit)


Totally in love with pixie bonnets.


Last year I saw a pattern for a knit pixie bonnet in a library book and thought, there is no way I can do that yet. I should have copied the page out because this week I just had to have it!

Seed Stitching and Ribbing
The pixie bonnet is basically a long rectangle seamed in half to create a bonnet! Easy right?

Well...I started this pattern over three times because:
  1. I didn't read the pattern correctly. 
  2. I miscalculated number of stitches needed to make similar sizing based on the different yarn and needle size I used. 
  3. I couldn't figure out which way was up (I know, strange).
It's supposed to look more square when finished! Oops. I needed to either shorten a few rows back from where I ended (for a smaller bonnet) or cast on more stitches (for a bigger bonnet)!

And the end result isn't perfect but it's very wearable...worn "upside-down." Little Miss E still humored me in trying it on! I mean it fits...just maybe not in the way it was intended to fit. Already working on a second one (hopefully correct this time!)!

Worn "upside-down" with the ribbing along the neck instead of framing the face.
The seam is on top of the head instead of along the backside of the head.
Materials
  • Lion's Pride Woolspun in Orchid
    • 80% acrylic, 20% wool
    • bulky weight (5)
    • 4"x4x" = 13S x 19R
    • recommends US 10.5 knitting needles
  • US 10.5 knitting needles
  • US 6.0 crochet hook
  • yarn needle

Pattern (what I did with notes for what didn't go right, to fix for next time...oops! So just follow the actual pattern linked at the bottom if you don't want to go through fixing it up yourself): 

Using long tail cast on, cast on 40 sts (either go longer or cut off rows shorter for a 12-18 month hat sizing...ended up too short unless worn upside down because I had a rectangle instead of square look at the end!).
  • Row 1: K to end 
  • Row 2: K2, P to last 2 sts, K2 
  • Rows 3 – 10: Repeat rows 1 & 2 
  • Row 11: K2, (P1, K1) to last 2 sts, K2 
  • Row 12: K2, (K1, P1) to last 2 sts, K2 
  • Rows 13 & 14: Repeat rows 11 & 12 
  • Rows 15 – 28: Repeat rows 1 – 14 (accidentally repeated rows 1&2 for rows 23&24 instead of repeating rows 11&12 so ended up with 2 extra rows)
  • Rows 29 – 38: Repeat rows 1 – 10 (only repeated rows 1-4)
  • Row 39 (not the actual row # due to my changes but leaving as is to not be even more confusing): K2, (P2, K2) to last 2 sts, K2 
  • Row 40 (not the actual row # due to my changes but leaving as is to not be even more confusing): K2, (K2, P2) to last 2 sts, K2 (not sure what happened but I wasn't paying attention and ended up with a double seed stitch pattern instead so for the next two rows I did what would make a ribbed pattern instead of following the pattern as written - or maybe I followed the pattern, who knows) 
  • Row 41 (not the actual row # due to my changes but leaving as is to not be even more confusing): K2, button hole, (P2, K2) to last 2 sts, K2  (didn't use a button hole)
  • Row 42 (not the actual row # due to my changes but leaving as is to not be even more confusing): K2, (K2, P2) to last 2 sts, K2 
ADDENDUM: I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "K2 (P2, K2) to last 2 sts, K2" for the last 4 rows if ribbing is to happen otherwise it ends up being a double seed/moss stitch. 

Bind off. Weave in ends. Use tail to sew up the back of the bonnet.

Using crochet hook, loosely crocheted chain of 20 at bottom corner. Turn and sc in next 19 sts, then slst to hat and weave in end on both sides of hat for tails to tie.

Finished Measurements
  • Depth: 8 inches
  • Height: 6 inches
  • Tail Lengths: 8 inches
Inspired by Kit's Crafts: Seeds Pixie Bonnet Pattern. Adapted for bulkier yarn and different size knitting needles. Omitted button strap extension.

Tee Hee Hee!

"Mommy, this is my stinker face!" Yes, yes it is.

Worn the way it was intended to with the ribbing framing the face and the seam in the back (see it still fits alright....?)!

ADDENDUM

Practiced picking up stitches along a vertical edge and lengthened the "bottom." Picked up 40 stitches and did a K2P2 ribbing for approximately 2 inches before binding off. Ended with tails on opposite ends to seam the edge of the ribbing to the straps so it wouldn't be dangling. Whoohoo!

Finished Measurements (perfect!)
  • Depth: 8 inches
  • Height: 8 inches
  • Tail Lengths: 6 inches

Picking up stitches along the vertical edge.

Attaching ribbing to add height/length.
Yay! Done!


Hi Mom!




Checking out the frozen kale she thought was a watermelon hiding in the snow.

Comments

Popular Posts