Yield: 8 scones
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup French lavender sugar (feel free to substitute with white sugar)
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter chopped in chunks
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon lemon zest (from our Meyer lemon tree!)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rubbing between your fingers until it is in pea-sized lumps. Stir in dried cranberries. Using a fork, mix together 1/2 cup milk, sour cream, and lemon zest in a measuring cup. Pour into dry ingredients and stir gently until well blended. If the dough is overworked, you'll end up with tough scones!
- With floured hands, quickly pat scone dough into balls 3 inches across. Place onto parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten slightly. Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon milk to make an egg wash. Brush tops of scones with egg wash. Sprinkle a little sugar on tops of scones if desired. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in preheated oven, until tops are golden brown. 12 minutes worked out perfect for me.
- Serve with butter, jam, or as they are!