Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sweet Chili Sauce



Our garden has exploded with Thai chilies and Serrano peppers. Hmmm.... sweet chili sauce??? Doing some research online, it looks like most recipes use corn starch as a thickener. I achieved a similar thickness using a little more sugar.

  • 3 garlic cloves or more (I think I used 7? but some were really small), peeled and chopped if you'd like but doesn't have to be because it'll be pureed
  • 2 Serrano peppers with or without seeds depending on how brave you are; this time I choose with seeds but we'll "seed" if I survive (ohhhhh can't resist the pun)
  • 1/2 cup (and more) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
In a blender, puree all ingredients. Pour into a small frying pan on medium high heat. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook until volume reduces by about 50%; took me about 20 minutes but I wasn't really keeping track. I added a little more sugar too so it would be a little thicker with reduction. Let cool completely before pouring into a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy with spring rolls, fried rice, or a stir fry. It can also be used as a marinade or grilled with chicken or fish! Once I find another glass container, I'll try making one with red Thai chillies!!! Note, the heat will dissipate over time.

NOTE: I racked my brain multiple times over trying to figure out the proper way to spell chili or is it chile and what about the plural form???? Here is what Miriam-Webster has to say:


1
a : a hot pepper of any of a group of cultivars (Capsicum annuum annuum group longum) noted for their pungency —called also chili pepper
b: usually chilli plural chillies also chil·lis chiefly British : a pepper whether hot or sweet

2
a : a thick sauce of meat and chilies
b : chili con carne

Variants of CHILI

chili also chile or chil·li

Origin of CHILI

Spanish chile, from Nahuatl chÄ«lli
First Known Use: 1604

No comments:

Post a Comment