For the Love of Babywearing
There are so many reasons why I love babywearing. Yes, there are health benefits. Yes, there are convenience reasons. Yes, collecting baby and toddler carriers can become a hobby aka obsession but it's functional art!
- No need to lug a car seat into a grocery store or place a toddler into a cold shopping cart seat in the middle of winter.
- Keeps both of us warm.
- I can open store doors by myself.
- I can crochet with a sleeping baby on my chest.
- Easier to go through airport security and maneuver through the airport.
- I can nurse discretely (most people don't even know it's happening!).
- No need to sit down anywhere. Just stop, re-adjust, and keep on going!
- Being held and shielded from external craziness calms down a overstimulated toddler. Some times there's just too much so much to take in, we all need a break.
Weight-bearing physical activity
- Aside from chasing a toddler around, not much planned physical activity gets scheduled into a day.
- My arms get tired holding a squirmy toddler. Wearing her keeps her calm and still and my arms don't get tired!
P.S. - We also LOVE our stroller. Let me count the ways (I love lists!).
- When she was in the infant car seat, I loved being able to snap the car seat into the stroller. It made running errands with a sleeping baby so much easier. I didn't have to wake her up.
- The stroller is a safe and clean place to change diapers when we're out.
- If she doesn't want to sit and would rather be carried, I can wear her and put all of our shopping goodies in the stroller.
- If she falls asleep in the stroller, I can enjoy a meal at a restaurant while she sleeps.
- Some days it's just too hot to wear her.
- She can enjoy a snack in her stroller off the tray and place her cup in the cup holder. Anything she can do by herself these days is a plus for her!