What to do with home grown veggies?? Grilled veggie salad! Eggplant, yellow summer squash, tomatoes, basil, oh my! (Side Note: We've had our grill for 6 months now and it has been put to great use!)
|The photo above is missing some of vegetables (like the eggplant) because they got chopped before I remembered to take a photo.... The vegetables are from our budding garden and my in-laws' bountiful garden.|
tomatoes, halved and quartered (depending on the size of the tomato)
summer squash, diagonal slices
Japanese eggplant, diagonal slices
mozzarella cheese, cubed
basil, julienne strips (I believe the technique is called "chiffonade"?)
- After veggies are washed and cut into size, put them (minus the tomatoes and basil) in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a little salt. Mix well. Pour out on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Slide foil with veggies onto grill at medium. Let them cook until you see charred marks on the bottom. You can stir them up a bit once or twice if you'd like. We didn't set a timer. My husband was responsible for this part. He says "not everything has to be timed, Dear." So, basically, just check the veggies every few minutes, taste them for your desired doneness. Ours were perfect!
- Meanwhile, mix together your prepared tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese in that same large mixing bowl you were using earlier (so you don't have to wash another bowl).
- In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil until they don't separate. Pour over bowl with tomatoes and stuff. Stir it up.
- When grilled veggies are done, plate them first, then place generous helpings of your tomatoes and stuff on top.
- Enjoy! This is perfect as a side dish or as a light dinner with garlic bread!