I'm blessed with in-laws who have bountiful fruit trees and love to spread the joy! Current harvest are the Asian pears. You may see many posts to come using these delightful pears in many different ways....
Yield: 4 servings (1/2 poached pear per person)
2 small, firm Asian pears, peeled and halved vertically
2 cups cranberry raspberry 100% juice (if you have pomegranate, that would be delicious too!)
2 cups red wine (plum wine would be delicious too!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (less would be ok)
ice cream or gelato of choice (pictured is black cherry gelato)
mint leaves for garnish (we have plenty in the garden!)
- Scoop out core of halved pears with a very sturdy small spoon that won't bend.
- Put the four halves into a pot. Make sure they can all fit comfortably in a single layer.
- Cover the pears with the juice and wine. If they aren't fully submerged, add more juice/wine. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Take pot off heat and let pears come to room temperature in the pot.
- Remove pears from liquid and put in a bowl, cover, refrigerate overnight (or for 6 hours like I did because I wanted to try them... I kept the other two halves in the fridge for tomorrow though!). Can continue to reduce down liquid in pot. I was able to reduce it down to 1.5 cups. Next time, I'll probably try reducing with just half of the liquid so it goes quicker.
- When ready to serve, preheat grill to high.
- Dry pear halves thoroughly. Put sugar in shallow plate. Dip flat sides down on sugar. Put each pear half flat side down on grill. Will likely only need 30 seconds to a minute for sugar to be bubbly and brown.
- Transfer pears to a individual small serving plates with a dip in the middle or shallow bowls, grilled side up. Scoop ice cream into middle of each pear and garnish with mint. Pour some of the liquid onto the plate.