韭菜盒子 (Chive Boxes)
Chive boxes are a classic Taiwanese street food. If chives aren't your thing, you may change your mind (or run away from someone eating this potent pocket). They're great for potlucks and are best fresh and hot but can be frozen and heated up in the oven later!
|Dough. Cellophane Noodles. Chives. Shrimp. Egg. All Together.|
Ingredients (approximate measurements):
3 cups all-purpose flour and some extra
1 cup boiling water
3 bundles cellophane noodles
2 cups chives, chopped
1 cup uncooked shrimp
2 extra-large eggs
1T rice wine
- First place cellophane noodles in a bowl of cold water to soak.
- In a small bowl, place uncooked shrimp and add about a tablespoon of rice wine. Set aside.
- Then, make the dough so it can rest while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a large bowl, combine flour and boiling water and mix with a fork or chopsticks until it starts forming together and if cool enough to handle, knead with hands until it forms a ball. Cover with dish towel and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Gently beat eggs, add a pinch of salt to taste, pour into a large non-stick pan as if you were making a really thin omelette. Cook through and slide out onto a cutting board to cut into thin strips then again the perpendicular direction. Set aside in a small bowl.
- On medium low heat, add a little sesame oil and saute shrimp until pink and opaque (about a minute).
- Add chives, cellophane noodles, eggs to the pan. Salt to taste.
- Assembly time! On a lightly floured surface, knead dough into a smooth long log. Divide into about 20 pieces. Roll each one out into thin circles. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center, fold one side of the dough over, crimp the edges to firmly seal. Continue until you run out of filling and dough.
- With the same large non-stick pan from earlier, add a little vegetable oil, on medium low heat, pan fry chive boxes until golden brown on each side. Serve! If saving some for later, allow to cool on wire rack lined with paper towels before storing in ziploc bags for freezing or air tight containers.