I love a tang in my sweets. Citrus provides a refreshing and bright balance to otherwise sugary sweet sweets. Bring these bite-sized drop cookies to a baby shower with a glaze to match the color scheme! Or, surprise your girl friends at the next ladies luncheon! (Or maybe just make a batch all for yourself ... but with these being so delicious, you have to share!)
Prep Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 10 minutes Yield: ~48 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon zest (I used two Mexican limes from my in-laws' garden)
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice (I used the juice from the two zested Mexican limes and then lemon juice we had frozen from last spring)
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar
- lime or lemon juice (I used lemon juice)
- few drops of food coloring (optional)
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, zest; beat until combined. Beat in lime juice. Beat in flour.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, 1.5 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. The cookies don't really spread much. Bake at 375F for 10 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks completely before glazing.
- While the cookies are baking and cooling, make the glaze. In a small bowl, add a couple spoonfuls of powdered sugar, add lemon juice one spoonful at a time, mixing in between, until you get the right consistency (approximately 2:1::powdered sugar:juice). If needed, add more powdered sugar. Should be thick enough to coat cookie when the top is dipped in and not slide right off. Dip cookie upside down in glaze to lightly coat, turn over and let set on cooling rack.
- Allow glaze to set on cookies prior to storing. If packing in layers, recommend a layer of wax or parchment paper (can use the same one you baked the cookies on) in between to prevent sticking and messing up your beautiful glaze!