A garden overflowing with zucchini and eggplant means time for lasagna! This all inclusive lasagna is a great use of garden vegetables. With a sharp-bladed food processor, chop up all those veggies (no worries if you don't have a food processor, it'll just be more hands-on chopping).
Ingredients (approximate measurements):
2 cups zucchini, shredded and water squeezed out
2 cups carrots, shredded
2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cups eggplant, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
32oz marinara sauce
9 no boil lasagna noodles
3 cups mozzarella, shredded
2oz Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
2 extra large eggs
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven pot, on medium low heat, sweat onion and garlic with olive oil. Stir occasionally with wooden spoon. Add rest of vegetables, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare cheese mixture by mixing ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano, eggs, herbs, and black pepper. If you've been using a food processor for the veggies, go ahead and prepare your cheese mixture in the food processor as well. This will minimize tools/equipment to clean!
- Return to vegetable mixture, add marinara sauce, stir to combine, simmer uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Clean up some of your mess while the veggies do their thing.
- Using a large ceramic lasagna pan (I think mine is 10.5x13.25x2.5 inches), ladle about a cup of vegetable sauce on the bottom. Layer on three lasagna noodles. Top with a 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Layer on 1/3 of the vegetable mixture. Top with a cup of mozzarella. Repeat until all mixtures are gone. Top should be mozzarella.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. If cheese isn't bubbly and brown at the end, broil for a minute.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes for cleaner cutting and serving.