Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
This easy recipe from start to finish (including cleaning up) takes less than an hour. It's perfect for a quiet Sunday morning, to take to a brunch potluck, or to enjoy as an afternoon snack!
Prep: 15 minutes Bake: 18 minutes Oven: 400F Yield: 12 muffins
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten extra-large egg
3/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup dried cranberries (feel free to get creative and use dried blueberries or nuts too)
- Line twelve muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients for muffins. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
- In a 1 cup Pyrex, measure oil and soy milk together, then add beaten egg. Add mixture all at once to flour mixture well and stir just until moistened. Desired: lumpy batter. Over mixing can lead to a tough muffin with peaks and tunnels. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Sprinkle Streusel topping over muffin batter in cups. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. While muffins are baking, clean up the kitchen!
- Cool in muffin cups on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing.
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons rolled oats
- In a shallow bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in rolled oats. Evenly divide up over muffin batter in cups before baking.
Slightly adapted from Better Homes and Garden Cook Book 75th Anniversary Edition.