Knit Project #9: Caterpillar Hat
Inspired by Eric Carle's classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
I mixed together a couple different tutorials and came up with this bright caterpillar-inspired hat for my little bug. It ended up a little on the bigger side (she'll likely be able to wear this hat for a few years and it'll just look less slouchy!) but it stays on and does the job.
|Love the topsy-turvy look that the ridges make with two different colors.|
|My little babywearing mama.|
- medium worsted yarn (Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn)
- size 8 (5mm) 16 inch circular needles
- cast on 84 stitches
- ribbing of 2 knit, 2 purl for 1.5 inches
- change color
- Round 1: Knit
- Rounds 2-5 Purl
- change to main color
- Rounds 6-9 Knit
- Repeat rounds 1 through 9 until hat (unstretched) measures 6 inches from cast-on edge, ending with a knit row in main color.
- Decreasing using main color.
- Round 1: (K4, K2tog, SSK, K4) around (70 stitches)
- Round 2: Knit
- Round 3: (K3, K2tog, SSK, K3) around (56 stitches)
- Round 4: Knit
- Round 5: (K2, K2tog, SSK, K2) around (42 stitches)
- Round 6: Knit
- Round 7: (K1, K2tog, SSK, K1) around (28 stitches)
- Round 8: Knit
- Round 9: (K2tog, SSK) around (14 stitches)
- Weave in yarn ends.