Still Friendly but a Different Pattern of Fair Isle Hats: Aspen Edition (knit)

Do you ever grab one of those free leaflet patterns at the craft store? I do. And often they just get stuffed into my project journal and never seen from again but this time, this time it was different. I've been on a fair isle kick and I saw this pattern and I had to give it a try. I used different yarn and used smaller needles for the ribbing. Will try again with more contrasting colors to make the fair isle pop out more but I do love the subtly of these two colors together. 

Flat shot of a warm gray and cream knitted fair isle hat with a cream pom pom lying on a wooden surface next to dried autumnal leaves

I haven't been able to find an electronic link to the pattern online but will add it once I find it!

My deviations from the pattern:

  • US 10, 16" circulars for ribbing of 8 rows (approximately 2 inches) and then switched to US 11, 16" for rest of hat (the size the pattern calls for)
  • used Red Heart Soft Essentials in Biscuit and Cream instead of Loops & Threads Cozy Wool in Velvet and Fleece
  • Used 65 mm pom pom maker
  • Finished measurements (leaflet didn't have finished measurements listed):
    • height: 9 inches, not including pom pom
    • circumference: 15 inches, unstretched
    • fits a toddler/kid slightly slouchy due to long height (versus adult from original pattern using bulkier yarn)
    • fits a teen or small adult head without any slouch, covers ears!

close-up of warm gray yarn ribbing of a hat on a wooden surface

Here's my small adult head for size reference - didn't have willing small children interested in trying on the hat for comparison (at least not today!).


Tan skin bespectacled Asian woman looking down while pulling a warm gray and cream fair isle knit hat with a cream pom pom over her head and ears. She has on a heathered gray t-shirt.

Back of a person with long dark brown hair that flows out from underneath a warm gray and cream fair isle knit hat with a cream pom pom. Person has on a heathered gray t-shirt.



****
Images have descriptions provided in the alternative text accessible to screen readers.

Comments

Popular Posts