I bought a pom pom maker (actually two because they came in a double pack of two sizes) and it's glorious. Last year I made a pom pom maker using cardboard for another couple of hats but they didn't always come out very even or plump. I bought the Clover® Pom Pom Maker at Michaels and used a 40% off coupon - $5 (post coupon use), it's definitely worth every penny. For reference, I used the 2.5 inch one for this hat. Look forward to pom-pom-ing everything!
This hat is inspired by Red Heart's Ridged Crochet Hat Pattern. I modified the pattern and incorporated my modifications into the pattern below.
- 6.5mm crochet hook (if you want it to fit a little more snug, use a 6.0mm crochet hook but mine is missing)
- 5.0 mm crochet hook
- 1 skein Red Heart Soft in Berry (100% acrylic); won't use up the whole skein
- pom pom maker 2.5 inch size (if pom pom adornment desired)
- yarn needle (to weave in ends)
- Round 1 (Right side): Using 6.5 mm crochet hook, make magic ring. Ch 2, work 12 dc in ring; slip st in first dc to join—12 dc.
- Round 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in each dc around; slip st in first dc to join—24 dc.
- Round 3: Ch 2, Fpdc around first 2 dc, *2 dc in each of next 2 dc, Fpdc around next 2 dc; repeat from * around, end with 2 dc in each of last 2 dc, slip st in first Fpdc to join—12 Fpdc, 24 dc.
- Round 4: Ch 2, *Fpdc around next 2 Fpdc, dc in next 4 dc; repeat from * around, slip st in first Fpdc to join—12 Fpdc, 24 dc.
- Round 5: Ch 2, *Fpdc around next 2 Fpdc, 2 dc in each of next 4 dc; repeat from * around, slip st in first Fpdc to join—12 Fpdc, 48 dc.
- Round 6: Ch 2, *Fpdc around next 2 Fpdc, dc in next 3 dc, Fpdc around next 2 dc, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around, slip st in first Fpdc to join—24 Fpdc, 36 dc.
- Rounds 7-15: Ch 2, *Fpdc around next 2 Fpdc, dc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around, slip st in first Fpdc to join—24 Fpdc, 36 dc.
- Round 16: Switch to 5.0mm crochet hook. Sc around.
- Row 1: Ch 9 (working away from hat body). Can chain longer or shorter depending on preference for width of ribbing. Chaining 9 results in approximately 2 inches of ribbing width.
- Row 2: Hdc in second stitch from hook (working toward hat body). Hdc in each ch.— 8 hdc.
- Row 3: Sl st dec into next two sc in hat base. Ch 1. Turn. Sc into back loop of each hdc. Ch 1. Turn.— 8 sc.
- Row 4: Hdc into back loop of each sc. — 8 hdc.
- Repeat rows 3 and 4 until reach beginning chain.
- From the wrong side, sl st ends of ribbing together. Fasten off. Weave in end.
Make pom pom and attach to top of hat if desired.
- From bottom of ribbing to top of hat not including pom pom is approximately 10.5 inches.
- Not stretching the ribbing, hat circumference is approximately 17 inches (can stretch to 22 inches easily!).